Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: Duquesne Win
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
This is the problem when you change coaches and systems. Add on that the NCAA doesn't wave the transfer rule for change of coaches and you're going to get this kind of stuff.

AG needed everyone possible to return. He didn't have time to go find what he really wanted. And I'm guessing he did a sell job on all of them with the only concern being keeping them. Juniors and Seniors get the short end of the stick especially because they now have to weight sitting a year or taking a chance with a coach they had no choice in. AG isn't looking at all of them as players he can fit into his system, he's looking at some of them as place holders. You can't really blame AG because if he was being completely honest with them as far as fitting into what he's really looking for there's the risk of not being able to field a real D1 basketball team.

It's just not a good situation all around. I think the NCAA needs to wave the rule under these circumstances. This way coaches can be more honest with the players he might inherit and also there will be a bigger pool of players from other teams that have coaching changes to fill his roster with.

I just can't fully blame a player for having his college career turned upside down due to things outside his control. I'm not blaming AG either, I blame the NCAA for not having a rule that states that a change in coaching allows a player to transfer and become immediately eligible to play.
I'm not sure I completely agree with your suggestion but do believe something needs to be done. Obviously any kid can transfer and gets five years to play 4.

Working on the premise that I'd rather a kid stick around for a year to see what it is like rather than jump just because a new coach is hired, it really just impacts incoming Jr's and Sr's. A kid with only one year left has to sell a school to burn 2 scholarship years for one year of playing. Assuming there truly is a disconnect between the coach and player, a kid like Williams or Crosby does the right thing and sticks around for a year, he is penalized for doing so. Trey Landers (as a sophomore) can offer two years of playing time for three years scholarship burn. That is a much more palatable option for a coach recruiting a transfer.

Perhaps the best solution is the kid still needs to sit out a year ( to minimize how often it happens) but the year he sits out isn't counted against the new schools 13 scholarship allotment? I'm sure some programs would try to game the system so cap it to one per year.