Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 06:50 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
I am not explaining myself correctly. No ref can/should call anything based solely on a players reaction (flopping) or the ball flight. In fact on a three attempt it is difficult to see the ball flight because initially you are watching the defender and the shooter through the follow through. Then bang bang you look up to see the ball and whether it went through. Believe me there are many times you see what you think is contact, and the ball goes on a strange flight, which confirms contact.

In the case like yesterday, as happens, you get screened and miss the contact, and the ball flutters. You cannot call a foul just based on ball flight. The ref blew the call, because either he missed the contact, or he saw it is as very incidental, did not watch the ball flight, and chose to let it go. Not correct, but it happens.
The ref who is watching the shooter/defender NEVER follows the flight of the ball. Their job is to look for contact...the official under the basket (Lead) watches the boxing out and the 3rd official watches the flight of the ball.

"Ball-Watching" is not a complimentary term in reffing. Each official has their 'Primary' and 'Secondary' areas to watch as well as clearly defined roles. Refs at the NCAAT level are not 'ball watchers'. It doesn't mean they don't miss a call now and then, it just means they know exactly what to do with respect to where they are on the court.

2 other things...

1) You can't call what you don't see.
2) As we discuss in pre-game, 'if a player goes down, know how they got there'.

I didn't see the shot discussed above, if anyone has a link I'd love to see it.

Last edited by rollo; 03-18-2018 at 06:53 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerBob (03-18-2018), jack72 (03-18-2018), Lowd&ProUD (03-18-2018)