Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 10:45 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Feel like this is a high floor, medium ceiling hire. Probably one of the best we could do. Feel like Crean would've been similar, but I don't think he was ever in the running. Do I think Grant is going to get us to the Final 4? No I don't. Am I going to support the crap out of him? Yes I am.

Feel like many of the other names are pretty much low floor, higher ceiling potentials​. But the problem is you run the same risk as Archie... Probably worse. How many of you thought Archie would stay THREE MORE YEARS after the Elite 8 run? If you did, you're naive. But you are also running the risk of a spectacular JOB style flame out. And that could set the program back literally decades.

I am good running the risk of a guy who has a great recruiting track record, has ties to the university, and previous NCAA success vs some of the fliers we were thinking about taking. It's probably the safe move, but I don't know that there was a home run out there waiting to be hit.

Feel like the other candidates were all a much lower floor possibility than AG.

The thing I like most about this is, I am not stressed about keeping the recruits. We may lose a couple... But I think we will replace them with equally good or better players. Say what you want about Archie, but his ability was in player development not acquisition. In order to get to an elite level, you have to start getting better players. I think AG can do that, and that's a start.

As much as VCU thinks they're God's gift to basketball, at least they recognize that AG got most of the players that got them to that final 4.

Looking forward to AG and a successful tenure, even if we do struggle a bit next year. It was always going to be that way with losing the class we just lost.

Last edited by priceg75; 03-30-2017 at 10:54 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-31-2017), ruechalgrin (03-31-2017)