User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 09:20 AM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by THirt View Post
No, sir. We lose two seniors (Mikesell and Landers) but we currently have two open scholarships. Obi Toppin is almost certain to leave after this season. So we probably will have three more spots to fill.

I’m not 100% sure what our strategy is, but ideally we would add a point guard and at least one guy who can play the 4 spot.

4-star Keon Ambrose-Hylton visits Arkansas this weekend and will visit USC and Alabama as well before deciding in November. He seems to be our top target, so I would think we would more or less “hold” a spot for him as long as we need.

I would guess we might add two more to the class of Frazier and Brea and hold one more spot (we’ll call it Obi’s spot) for the best available player and/or keep it open in case of a mid-season transfer, international prospect, or the like.
Posted via Mobile Device
No doubt the coaching staff holds a spot for Ambrose. He'd be a big-time get, but it's hard for me to get too excited when going up against Musselman at Arkansas, Oats at Alabama and the boosters of USC. That'd be a heckuva pull if Grant can land him.

I think recruiting is moving fairly slowly this year due to the current composition of the roster. There's a lot of talent and not a lot of available playing time evident. In particular, I think getting a PG in this class will be tough, considering any 2020 PG would have to sit behind both Crutcher and Chatman his freshman year. I think you can sell a top-flight PG by pointing toward the possibility of 10-15 minutes a game during an apprenticeship year as a freshman. It's hard to imagine that type of time would be available, and no doubt opposing coaches are using that against the staff.

One player I remain excited about is Tony Sanders. Fits the Grant mold - long and bouncy - has some good offers (FSU, Georgia, South Carolina, Xavier) and seems interested. Smart guy too (UPenn and Yale offers), and I think he'd fit in well around here.

Last edited by flyer016; 10-09-2019 at 09:25 AM..