Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 08:12 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
It's painful but there's hope not mentioned in the article

There's a strong argument imo that even when Xavier was in the A10 and UC was in the Big East you could have said X was the better program. Despite all the limitations being in the A10 brought. The A10 is a handicap in recruiting high level guys but Xavier and other programs have found ways of overcoming the handicap brought by their conferences.

Xavier among other programs had a good blueprint on how to get talent at this level and succeed. Recruiting 4 year guys out of high school is part of the equation. They had a ton of success with transfers, non qualifiers (Power 5 plus Big East can't take these guys out of HS) and some success in the JUCO ranks

Long story short, whether it's us or anyone outside the P5+BE the blue print for success is an all of the above strategy for recruiting. JUCOs, a generous dose of transfers, non qualifiers and traditional high school recruits. Coach Cal is the only guy outside the P5 that I can think of that just out recruited people in the high school ranks.

Xavier, Gonzaga, Wichita State, Butler, Creighton all followed this model to some degree
I would add one other ingredient into the mix for all of the aforementioned schools which is coaching continuity. Either the same coach for over 10-15 years or hiring from within the program. I'm excluding Chreighton who really just got into the Big East because of connections. Their resume was/is no stronger than ours. I would add St. Mary's to this list now. Their recruiting approach is different due to all the Aussies they bring in.