Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 12:37 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,226 Times in 586 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Red face

We have five scholarships to give. Four if we pocket one! No matter who we recruit free throw percentage should be an important criteria. Damon Goodwin shot almost 90% for his career at UD and Scoochie was around 80% but towards the end of games he was money in the bank!

I remember Shawnta Rogers from George Washington (1996-99) would gives opponents fits because the ball would consistently be in his hands at the end of games when they had a lead and he would make every free throw!

J.J. Redick who played at Duke from 2003-06 was the best I've seen! For his career he made 662 out of 726 attempts for 91%.

Last Thursday when Kentucky lost to Kansas St. 61-58 they shot 62.2% (23 of 37) and P.J. Washington made 8 of 20 for 40%! Many of those misses came at the end with the game on the line!

My son is a Kentucky grad and I felt his pain. Plus I would have liked to see them play Loyola Chicago in the elite eight game. As my wife and I were watching the end of the game she asked why college players miss so many free throws when nobody is even guarding them! I told her that these days with instant gratification players would rather practice dunks than free throws because they don't want to put in the effort. She said that it seemed UD was better shooting free throws this past season under Anthony Grant than they were in years past with Archie Miller.

We need to continue this upward trend and the only way to do it is to recruit shooters with good techniques and then practice, practice, practice!
Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-27-2018)