User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2020, 07:52 PM
(Formerly O'Side Flyer)

Brad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I was getting at the schools will still continue to spend on maintaining, heating, etc, the facilities. That takes cash. Most schools have grown endowments as tuitions have skyrocketed, they have a reserve.

Somewhat implied in BU's stance is that they do not agree with opening up any business. Otherwise the public health argument would be applicable to all businesses country wide. I just don't see that happening.

What about the kids that are about to graduate in the next year? What do they do? Transfer? What do the employees do? Just doesn't seem like it was thought out in the context of the balance of the state and country.

It's an easy tap in to cry "you don't care about the public's health" at a time like this. There's a need to balance in also that families will be able to survive financially.
OK, I get it now. Some schools are seemingly wealthier than small countries. Harvard's endowment is north of $40B!

I think you have to look at BU's stance in light of the fact that Massachusetts is getting hammered pretty hard by COVID -- #3 in the US in terms of cases, luckily not a lot of deaths yet. It seems to me that they're trying to read the tea leaves and are making the decision now that for at least the Fall 20 semester, classes will not be in person. I would imagine that like UD's summer, all classes will be online.

This decision may prove premature, only time will tell. Not knowing what their personnel and layoff situation or plans are, I certainly can't comment on how they're taking care of their people. In their defense, making decisions based on context of state and country probably isn't really in their lane.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Brad S. For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyer016 (04-14-2020), Jeff (04-15-2020)