Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 09:59 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,915 Times in 1,085 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
I guess this is mostly moot now that we know it was a staff member, but to piggy back off Medford's post, I believe it boils down to time of exposure.

IIRC, the NFL study said about 15 minutes. So you might think it would be pretty easy to transmit in the trenches of a football game, but in reality the players are just not that close to each other for long enough periods of time.

Basketball is indoors and there's no helmets, facemasks, visors so maybe it is a little more risky. There are points in a game where a player is very close to an opposing player, but how long does that proximity last?

Let's put it this way. If a player on GW tested positive and it turned out later that a UD player tested positive and the only contact the UD player had with any known infected person was ON THE COURT with this GW player this would be front page news. I don't mean front page of the DDN. I mean headline national breaking story that is reported all over the world. It would be the first instance of any such thing occurring (again I'm hitching myself onto Medford's post).
In this crazy environment we have had the CDC claim that exposure risk was high IF you spent 15 minutes OR MORE near an infected person ... but wait they later made the statement that it was an accumulative 15 minutes so as an example 15 - 1 minute exposures over any period of time.

So brief contact would count in a game against a player who was infected but more than likely contact in practice sessions against one of your own over a couple days would be more risky.

Of course masks weren't necessary in the beginning of the pandemic (later we were told that was NOT true but we didn't have enough masks for the general public and we wanted to conserve what we had for the medical and health staff). Once there was a larger supply we where then told that you MUST wear a mask.

SO is the 15 minutes based on science or is it to allow certain activities to take place?

You may not know this but aerosol droplets can contact your EYES and the membranes of your eyes have cells that the virus can latch on to. The virus does not need to be inhaled into the lungs.

Growing up in the 50' we had civil defense drills in grade school. During an attack we were told to scurry under our desks and place our hands around our head. What they didn't tell us though, if it was a nuclear attack (which is what the main concern truly was at that time) we should have placed our head in a position to kiss our arse good-bye!

There were many other government truisms' in those days predicated around the use of and build up of Nuke arms. Lest the general populace concern themselves about what was really going on.
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (01-20-2021)
Advertisement