User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: On to 2018-19
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2018, 03:59 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
I'm cautiously optimistic for next season. Having 3 experienced returning guards should make a big difference with turnovers and on the defensive end.

The bench is a question mark but there's reason for optimism about the new comers. How good will some of these guys be? I'm not sure but the recruiting info on them doesn't suggest any of them are a big reaches or a huge projects.

To me this season really comes down to how much improvement we see out of Crutcher, Davis and Landers. What is the ceiling for these guys as players? Are Crutcher and Davis a pair of nice guards or do they start to develop into potential all conference caliber guards. Is Trey Landers like Monty Scott where he stays at the same level for most of his career or can he take his game to another level as an upperclassman?

Ryan Mikesell is a guy who's shown flashes of being a pretty good player at this level. See his first game against Southeast Missouri and the Vanderbilt game his sophomore year. As a healthy redshirt junior what is he as a player?

To me at least this season hinges on what these guys turn out to be. If you told me that everything breaks right and the team wins the A10 I could see it. If the team ends up with 16-17 wins I could see that too
A very fair and balanced assessment. A few things I would like to contribute to that. We are going to live and die by our defense. Kostas had as many blocks off the bench as our entire quartet of returning starters. As long as he could stay in the game, the guards had some measure of lane intimidation on their side. Who is going to do that this season?
As much as we expect individual improvement from all 3 guards, it's a team game and they can't get in the grill of the opponent consistently without some Flyer between them and the rim.

With regard to ball protection, this is addition by subtraction. DD consistently had as many turnovers as assists. Crutcher was solid, as was Jordan. Trey improved A/TO in A10 play. Josh needs to tighten up his passing. Cohill should be solid there as well.

Example: Trey in ooc had 11 assists vs 22 TO's. In the A10 he was 41 assists vs 35 TO's.

An example of the kind of consistent improvement we hope for. But again, it's a team deal. Players have to come to the ball and be strong. The turnover is not always the thrower's fault.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-10-2018), hawkoooo (07-08-2018), OSU Flyer (07-10-2018)