Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 09:22 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I have always thought that the college sports model needs to be completely destroyed.

The athletic department and the school need to be completely separate entities.

Pay the players, give out no more scholarships for the athletes, just pay them instead. The players no longer have to attend any classes, as they really are not students. The players can be fired(released), traded, etc.

And get rid of all non-revenue sports. Each sport has to pay their own way from now on. If women's soccer and men's cross-country can't turn a profit, then they are axed.

And men's basketball gets to keep 100% of its revenue. No more using men's basketball to fund everything else.
What you're describing is not a college system, you're describing a minor league system of athletics where UD has decided to enter the business venture as a sponsor. UD does not own the Dayton Dragons or the Cincinnati Reds, why would UD own a minor league basketball team? Why doesn't UD already own a minor league lacross team, or a sponsor a dirt track race team?

It makes no sense. You're either a college or you're a sports team company. Sure, UD has certain business ventures but those have DIRECT tie ins with being a university such as research or student classes.

Originally Posted by Rick Scaia View Post
Compensation to the players is something that absolutely needs to be on the table, simply because of how much money people are making off of them. It offends the intellect when the actual drivers of the revenue are not compensated fairly, thus all the pro sports drama any time a collective bargaining agreement comes up.
In 2011 ABC paid 4.38 Billion (B) dollars for the rights to the Olympics through 2020, followed by an extension worth 7.75 Billion (B) dollars for the rights to the Olympics through 2032.

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Oh ok, so you knew that Pitino and Miller were cheating? That's funny, I never read you post that a single time on here. Real easy to say that now, after the fact.

So tell me right now, what other current d1 coaches are cheats? I want you to post the names right now, before the FBI releases their names later as part of this investigation.
Literally every human being on the face of the planet including Pitino's own mother thought he was cheating, except apparently you.

Just for the record, I'll start the bidding: Calipari. He's also cheating. I'll put the odds at 1:1M.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (09-30-2017), SoTier Flyer (09-29-2017)