User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 09:52 AM
2nd Lieutenant

Jay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I agree, that would be perfectly fine with me.

They do not represent the university now, and they have not represented the U for a long time now. These guys are not really students. Majoring in General Studies? Give me a break.

We can still call the Dayton minor league basketball team the University of Dayton Flyers. The U will just be the team owner.

It is totally unrealistic to expect these guys to be students. If you have ever played a university-sponsored sport in college, the time demands on the athletes are outrageous: games, travel, media interviews, community-outreach events, team practices, classes, studying, weight-lifting, running/conditioning, etc.

There is very little time off. Little time to socialize like a regular student. Little time to make any spending money working a job. The spending money part of the problem might have been solved a couple years ago when the true cost of attendance scholarship was introduced.
While I was on the baseball team at UD I was also a pre-med major (biology and chemistry). There were 3 other basketball players in the pre-med major with me at the same time. There were two baseball players in the school of engineering. It is realistic to be a true student athlete at UD. The university helped us with scheduling so as to be able to make practice and games and the faculty went out of their way to provide us makeup time as well as rescheduling exams when we had to miss them for away games. It was not easy but I only know of one athlete (basketball) who quit his sport because of time constraints while I was at UD. I found that my GPA was better during the season because I realized I had to watch my time carefully. Our graduation rates at UD prove that they really do strive to recruit STUDENT athletes!
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jay O'Leary For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (10-06-2017), jack72 (09-29-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-29-2017), mikeymo85 (09-29-2017), Runnin' Rebel (09-29-2017), Sarge (10-05-2017), UD62 (09-29-2017)