Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 10:56 AM
General

Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,384 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
So why give out 13 scholarships?

I say, the other 5-6 maybe 4, should play limited minutes so they are more ready to go when they are one of the 7-8, maybe 9. I am also okay with only giving out 11-12 scholarships so you have 1 or 2 in your pocket for a transfer that comes along unexpectedly.
You're implicitly assuming 13 is the proper number. "The number allowed is 13, therefore the correct / best number is 13." Not logical. What if the allowed number was 50?
AG, and before him I think Archie, has decided that while you might have the ability to give out 13, the best number for UD is usually not the full compliment of 13. Possible reasons:

1. Transfers are disruptive and are happening at the rate they are because the guys on the bench are demanding to play, the guys on the floor aren't playing at their full potential because a few of their minutes are going toward the guys complaining, and the general locker room bickering from it all.
2. There's no point in dealing with moms of kids who just aren't good enough, and are not likely to ever be good enough. Not many kids out there say "coach I'm probably only a 5 minute per game player, just gimme a uniform and I'm happy."
3. If you find a bluebird and there are 3 fantastic players who all want to come to UD, it would really suck to have 11 guys on scholarship already. Giving out scholarships just to have them filled comes with a downside.
4. Perception. "You're recruiting THAT kid?? He sucks, I've played against him. I guess UD isn't really serious about winning, I'm going to <insert school>."