Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 03:06 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
You cannot be serious!

Originally Posted by NorthwestFlyer View Post
I remember when this first came up when Wichita State was moving into the AAC, I couldn't understand why folks first reaction was no at the time. It just seemed like a logical step in the right direction and could bring in more revenue and great games.

The other opportunity to me was the possibility of UD going to a scholarship football program. We would be a bottom feeder team in the conference, but it would be an opportunity for a much bigger branding horizon... and UD has the real estate to develop a modest stadium.

Oh the dreams! We better be a contender this year or why do we even have this thread.
There is a reason why only two (?) Catholic schools play FBS football and only a few more play scholarship FCS FB. Most FBS schools,....even those in the Power 5,...lose money on football. Of the top 50 U.S. News national research universities....the big dogs,...only about half play FB at any level.

The cost is astronomical. After spending $100 million for a stadium seating 40,000....and $45 million for a FB training/practice facility....UConn was able to compete at the FBS level for a few years. Then the bottom fell out and the FB program is running a $20 million annual deficit....a major problem even for a large school. That FB deficit is close to UD's total athletics budget.

If a school like UD is going to play FB...and there aren't that many that do,....our non-schollie, Ivy league-sort of, model is perfect. And over the years we've been very good at it. The only short coming I see is our ~2500 attendance. Something in the 4000-5000 range would be perfect.

Go Flyers!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer14 (05-17-2018), NorthwestFlyer (05-17-2018), UD62 (05-17-2018)