User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 03:02 PM
1st Lieutenant

Wallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by oRed View Post
So supporting not going is because probably more than 1/2 of the AAC is looking to go elsewhere from a conference hopping standpoint? And if we leave the A10, UD wouldn't be readmitted?

So let's look at each scenario...I don't doubt that over 1/2 the AAC would like to be in a Power 5 football driven league but that's simply not happening. UCF & USF are the best football schools with their ability to recruit Florida and you can lump Cincy, Houston,Tulsa & Memphis in a next tier followed by SMU, UCONN and Temple. All of those schools aren't being invited somewhere else.

re: being readmitted to A10...I would only support going to AAC with VCU so if things change we have VCU, Wichita St and UD to build something from probably Temple & Tulsa as well for sure along with Tulane that's better starting place than the A10.

In addition joining AAC while UC is still present blows Xavier's Big East objection "it's the same TV market (LOL)" up. You don't think someone around the Big East conference table would say if UD and UC were in the same hoops league for 3-5 years..."why didn't UC think it was the same TV market and object to UD being added to AAC"?
Some thoughts

The A10 has not been a limited factor for UD to date. If we win games we get in the NCAA tourney. There are lots and lots of worse places to be. However, the lack of significant games in the non-con as well as in conference is worrying and is going to get worse. It's not hard to see a future where it becomes harder for UD to even get chances at the types of games they'll need for at large bids.

I think getting UD, VCU and Wichita St connected in a conference is the beginning of a pretty good plan B in the event the of a move to the AAC and the subsequent falling apart of the AAC. That's a strong bball foundation that could be ported or built around.

Assume anyone that is anyone in AAC football leaves. UConn, UC, USF, UCF, Houston, Tulsa gone. That would still leave Temple, Memphis, SMU. Still a pretty good top 6 with UD/VCU/WS. A gutted AAC could still attract other schools who are looking to move a step up in football. Someone like Old Dominion, who would be a nice get for the current A10, but would never come because of football. Or CUSA members. Not ideal, but worse than the A10? I don't think so.

Or Dayton/VCU/WS could try and join/rejoin the A10. Would the the A10 refuse that? Maybe, but it would be based on pure spite and would totally ignore an opportunity to improve massively.

Or Dayton/VCU/WS could poach the A10's top teams and maybe some others from MVC, etc. Dayton, VCU, WS, SLU, RI, Richmond, Northern Iowa, Ill St is strong top 8 with some decent options to get to 10 for a round robin.

The only real loser situation I can think of is the AAC implodes and in that moment the Big East decides to grab VCU and WS leaving us in the cold and the A10 refuses to let us back in.
Mad Props to Wallage For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lowd&ProUD (05-22-2018)