Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 02:54 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
In order for it to be a charge, a defender must be set before the offensive player becomes airborn. In case #3 the defender is set and the contact is illegal, albeit petty. Regardless, it’s either a charge or a no-call. I would vote no-call, but you and I know that if it were a UD player getting knocked over, it’s an obvious charge!
Posted via Mobile Device
Right or wrong, I have a 95%+ rate of agreeing with the refs on blocks vs. charge in real time. I don't do much right in this arena, but I feel pretty good about this one.

#3 was a no-call, at least from that angle. As we've agreed before, just because someone falls down it doesn't mean the whistle has to blow. That guy just fell down from glancing contact. Maybe from a different angle there was more solid contact, in which case I would have accepted a charge.

But overall I LOVE IT when a ref swallows the whistle on a block/charge with minimally aggressive contact. It's irrational that when a defender stays vertical on his feet there's no call, but if the defender falls down with all other facts equal the whistle must blow.