Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2021, 11:01 AM
General

Thanked 4,345 Times in 2,136 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kansas City Flyer 99 View Post
Looks like Big 12 has a few plans in place to

A) force Texas and OU to stay (I read at least 76 million exit fee each, all TV rights from football and basketball go to Big 12 through end of 2025 seasons and an 18 month required notice of leaving)

B) looking at adding schools to go to 10 or 12 -- Most think BYU, Boise St, Cincy and Memphis or UCF.

C) Sounds like government in a few states might be getting into this to stop it from happening.

Honestly this looks to be a bad move for both but more so for Texas. They are not great right now and they look like they would be the 7-8th best team in the SEC. Is that really a good move??? Both Oklahoma and Texas have much better playoff chances (more money!!!) in the Big 12 then in the SEC. I just don't get it in the terms of winning ang having a playoff chance. TV money is going to be 16 shares after 2026 so it won't move the needle that much. I guess if lure of money from certain match-ups is the most important thing they should go for it. I can't wait to see Alabama, Auburn, Florida and UGA beat up on Texas each year!!

Do individual teams make much money off playoff bids? Isn' that money shared? I know in the past, if you went to a "lesser bowl" out of the Big 10, you were generally paying money for the privileged to go play the liberty bowl, or sun bowl or whatever other mid-week bowl week game you ended up in after finishing 7-5. You'd split all revenue from the bowls with the league, but you were forced to guarantee a certain number of tickets when you went, and people were not showing up in droves from East Lansing to attend a game in El Paso.

I assume the playoffs work in similar fashion, the exception being that selling tickets to someone from East Lansing to attend the Rose, Fiesta, Cotton or Orange Bowl while knowing their team was a top 4 team wasn't that difficult. So while maybe you generate a little bit of money off the playoffs (not including the goodwill that is generated by being successful) the real money is in the TV package.

It has been widely reported that ESPN is struggling. Additionally, ESPN owned Longhorn Network is also struggling, the TV money for the next B12 deal may not be all that great. SEC and B10 already make droves more than the B12, that gap is going to widen when the next round of negotiations begin. Texas and OU likely stand to make much more money off TV in either of those conferences than they do standing pat.

Anyhoo, its being reported that this could be finalized w/n the next week. Where things go from here....who knows.