Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 03:54 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
This is incorrect. UD's 0-2 record against VCU is considered WORSE than Duquesne's 0-1 record versus VCU. Therefore, a 2 way tie between Duquesne and Dayton, if Duquesne beats UD on the final Saturday would put Duquesne ahead of Dayton.
Is there a scenario that could produce a two-way tie between Duquesne and Dayton without any other teams involved?

I forgot about the 0-2 vs 0-1 tie breaker - that could be a problem in a multi team tie as well. George Mason, SBU, SLU, and Duquesne are all 0-1 against VCU, but only GMU has them Tuesday (really doesn't matter since they beat us head to head). Every other team in the bunch only played VCU once. Seems kind of like a double penalty - you play the best team twice and your are penalized worse than a team with an eaiser schedule. I understand that it is designed to give the better teams a shot at "at-larges", but it didn't play out this year.

Multi team tiebreakers that make it beyond "best record of the group" do not look good for us. (i.e. two team tie breakers).

Let's assume we win Tuesday and lose next Saturday. We are playing for 3rd or 4th at best. Two spots for these 4 teams

SBU wins out 12-6
GMU wins out 12-6
DUQ wins out 12-6

Dayton finishes 12-6
Two way tie with any team accept SBU - Dayton would lose.

Dayton record against the group 2-2
GMU against the group 2-2
DUQ against the group 2-3
SBU against the group 2-2

Now assuming SBU drops a game and falls out leaving a 3 way tie with GMU and DUQ...

Dayton record against the group 1-2
GMU against the group 1-1
DUQ against the group 2-1

We get left out in that three way tie.

We need to win and need SLU and VCU to win Wednesday. I have a headache now from crunching this.

I stated earlier that a Dayton win and SBU loss would lock us, but I am not so sure now.

That *&*&%$! Rhode Island game.