Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2020, 09:43 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
Wally's performance pales in comparison to what Scott Haffner of Evansville did against the Flyers in 1989. Haffner went for 65 points against a hapless Flyer defense. He was 11-13 from the 3-range and 23-29 overall. This was Don Donoher's last year of coaching and it highlighted something that I always thought led to his departure as a coach. I do not believe Don ever learned how to shoot the 3-ball or defend it. Those were some sad times as a Flyer fan. Below explains Haffner's feat.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...462-story.html
I saw this one on TV, as well as Smitty’s 52-point effort (without the benefit of a 3-point line) at Loyola of Chicago, in now-demolished Chicago Stadium, in 1973. But seeing “World” do that to our Flyers in-person was surreal.

And yes, it was sad to watch that season, which started with Billy Tubbs running up the score in Hawaii, and then the Haffner explosion in Evansville. Not as bad as the early-to-mid ‘90s record-wise, but possibly more depressing, knowing where the program had been earlier in the decade.
Posted via Mobile Device