User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: The Big East
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2015, 04:13 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
I do not see the Big East expanding anytime soon so this is a pure hypothetical discussion. They will not expand until 2018+ and even if they expand, Dayton is not even close to a sure thing to receive an invite.

If offered an invite (with the caveats above), I was 100% for joining the Big East, but am wavering a little now. I could list the positives from academics to recruiting to perception to $ to keeping Archie to playing in better arenas (St. John's > Fordham), but will focus on a number of negatives. I still would gladly accept the hypothetical invite, but previously I would have accepted in a nanosecond and now it would take me perhaps 1 or 2 seconds.

(1) The Fox Sports TV contract is poor for exposure. Dayton is getting equal to or better exposure on ESPN, CBS, etc. -- http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/big-...-sports-1.html -- TV matters. Recruits care about being on tv.

(2) Coaches seem to be voting that the Big East is a material step down from P5. Buzz Williams left Marquette to Va Tech, Depaul could not land B Hurely (MAC) or Drew (Horizon). Butler coach considering Tennessee. St. John's does not look like it is getting D Hurley.

(3) Half of the Big East has not been that relevant for 15 years (Dayton was not either until the last 2 years). Also, most successful Big East programs the last 15 years have been Xavier (while in A-10) and Butler (while in Horizon). Starting with the 2000-2001 Season:
(a) Depaul = 1 NCAA and 1 Win
(b) Seton Hall = 2 NCAAs and 1 Win
(c) Providence = 4 NCAAs and 0 Wins
(d) St. John's = 3 NCAAs and 0 Wins
(e) Creighton = 8 NCAAs (impressive), 4 Wins (Creighton has NEVER won 2 NCAA games in a row & has not advanced beyond Round 32 Last 15 Years)
-----
*Dayton = 5 NCAAs and 6 Wins with Elite 8* YES DAYTON IS EQUAL TO IN WINS THE LAST 15 YEARS VERSUS CREIGHTON, ST. JOHN'S, PROVIDENCE, SETON HALL, AND DEPAUL. We should savor the last 2 years.
-----
(f) Georgetown = 9 NCAAs and 10 Wins with Final 4 and 2 Sweet 16s
(g) Marquette = 10 NCAAs and 13 Wins with Final 4, Elite 8, and 2 Sweet 16s
(h) Villanova = 10 NCAAs and 14 Wins with Final 4, Elite 8, and 2 Sweet 16s
(i) Xavier = 13 NCAAs (wow) and 17 Wins (wow) with 2 Elite 8s (wow), and 4 Sweet 16s (wow)
(j) Butler =9 NCAAs and 18 Wins (wow), with 2 Final Games (wow) and 1 Sweet 16.

Arguably, Butler and Xaiver are the most successful Big East teams the last 15 years with success coming while they were in the A-10 and Horizon leagues. A big difference between the top 5 of the conference and the bottom 5.

Dayton clearly would be in the middle of the Big East the lat 15 years. Materially below the top 5, but materially ahead of the bottom 5. Unfortunately, success in NCAA tourney is the only measuring stick in college basketball.

Also, I really respect Creighton and they are very similar to Dayton in media market, fans, etc. But odd in retrospect why BE took them over Dayton with geography. They have not won 2 games in a row EVER in the NCAA. Their Elite 8 in the 1940s was when only 8 teams made the tourney. They have never had any NCAA tourney success.

Last edited by ruechalgrin; 03-29-2015 at 04:38 PM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (03-29-2015), Gazoo (03-30-2015), JimBo (03-29-2015), mrb85flyer (03-31-2015)