Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 08:37 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
Yes. He's in trouble. I like AG, but I'd take Archie back in a heartbeat.
We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. Lord knows I appreciate the success we had while Archie was here, but the more I learn about the culture he developed within the program, the more I like what I see out of AG, the team we have, and the guys we have coming in.

The fact that Dumb and Dumber would, as Juniors (and in Archie’s 4th year as HC), be breaking into girls’ dorm rooms and stealing stuff. The fact that “True Team” pretty much detonated over “Girlfriend-Gate” in 2015-16, and whatever effort Archie put toward re-unifying the team after that was obviously and woefully insufficient. Looking back, those were signs of an “inmates running the asylum” culture. When your “inmates” are named Sibert, Oliver, and Sanford, that’s fine. Once the “inmates” had names like Robinson and Scott? Not so much.

I’m not ungrateful for the Elite Eight run, or the year of The Magnificent Seven. I appreciate all that those teams did to shine a positive light on both the program and the university as a whole. But one could argue that the program had already peaked under Archie, and that his next 4 years were not likely to bring the same level of success that the previous 4 years had brought. And without that “dedication to the program” mindset that Archie promoted in his first 3-4 years, it’s very possible that the next 3-4 years would have been far less successful. AG seems to be all about “dedication to the program”, and given where he is in his overall career, I think that will be his mindset for as long as he’s our HC. And for as much as people on this board (rightfully, IMHO) want us to model programs like Gonzaga, Butler, and (cough, gag, sputter) Xavier, perhaps we are now, finally, truly building that “program” mindset.

In short, thanks for the memories, Archie, but you go your way and we’ll go ours. And best wishes to us all.
Posted via Mobile Device
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (02-02-2019), Bonziflyer (02-02-2019), Flyer2 (02-01-2019), Glen Clark (02-02-2019), JimBo (02-02-2019), longtimefan (02-01-2019), shocka43 (02-01-2019), UD62 (02-01-2019), UDGutter2 (02-01-2019), Yorkshire Flyer (02-02-2019)