Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 12:32 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,752 Times in 794 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfan4life View Post
So you're saying because there are a few examples of OTHER players improving their shooting % from 3 drastically that it should serve as a better indicator that this guy, who shot 22% and 28% from 3 and 38% from the floor, is a good shooter? Makes sense to me. 2 years of stats isn't speculation......It's proof that he isn't a good shooter. Doesn't mean he couldn't become better, but you certainly can't assume that he will because OTHER players have.
What I'm saying is you are over using stats. Stats are just linear numbers. They can't be used that way alone. There is context to those numbers, such as other 'what-ifs' that some have brought up. Without understanding the context of the numbers, any conclusion, especially extreme ones, are irresponsible and irrational.

This is especially true when you try to use them the way you are - to predict the future despite the fact that people have provided examples where the same numbers or worse did not guarantee the assumptions you are making about this one specific kid.

You are also discounting many other factors that would dispute your extreme conclusions.

1.) AG has always had an eye for talent. Few if any would dispute this and he is paid as he is because of this and other factors.

2.) AG wants this program to be at the highest level as quickly as possible more than anyone on this board.

These 2 facts alone tell me that if he is interested at all in this kid, there is reason to be and that the 'stat facts' don't tell the real story about him.

Finally, just because we are following him doesn't mean we will ever extend an offer. Also, you can't have a roster of 13 program changing kids at any school - for long. Too many will leave as they will all want to play 30+ minutes. Any school needs role players and not all will be both offensive and defensive stalwarts i.e. London Warren - a great Flyer that I believe only Jacksonville State wanted.

I'm so glad some brought up KD and DO - 2 of my all time favorites. The 'KD or DO should be benched the next time they shoot a 3' cries still ring loudly in the halls and we know how terribly wrong the arm chair experts were back then. No different with this argument.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
frisco flyer (04-19-2018), Gazoo (04-19-2018), Lowd&ProUD (04-19-2018), skip69 (04-22-2018), SLUFLYER (04-19-2018)