Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 12:33 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,814 Times in 4,075 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udflyerhoops2 View Post
I see there is a new project underway at the parking lot on the other side of 75. Anyone know what is going in there? I have for a long time talked about how the city and the business community are missing the boat by not putting in some entertainment options in that space. You would think a BDubs or Frickers would be champing at the bit to get in there. I don't know the politics of development but it seems like a win win for everyone.
Unfortunately that side of 75 is a virtual wasteland. I was just down that way today and I forgot how barren it is. There is already a ton of undesirable activity in the McD's, Wendys, area and a ton of drug activity with a handful of shooting incidents on that little stretch of EDC in the last few years. North of Dmax, south of 35, and east of Germantown...well...no one in their right mind would invest millions on a decent chain restaurant near the Loves just to satisfy the entertainment and dietary needs of UD arena a couple times a year. Commercial establishments do a ton of studies on where they are going to build...other than a get off get on type of fast food...it ain't happening there. Places will build east of the river towards campus because they will get the UD Arena people as well as campus/Oakwood/Dayton/Kettering visitors when it isn't gameday.

A few things need/must happen:

1. As ****ty as the entrance and exit traffic patterns are due to the horrible setup and planning...Uber/Lyft/cabs need to have access to UD arena property. You can't get an Uber to UD Arena property. That has to be fixed, especially come tournament time. Where else can you go in the country for an NCAA game and you can't take an Uber to and from.

2. Provided food and drink specials/incentives like SLU does for pregame. They open their doors something like 1.5-2 hours before (can't remember as it was a few years back when we visited) and offer beer and food specials. The concourse had quite a few people on it when we got there and it was cheaper than going to bars.

I know staff has a few things in the works to further enhance the fan experience, but there are limited fan options in the area for food and drink...therefore you need to provide it or allow for responsible transportation options for those who are making a day out of it.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (08-25-2019), OSU Flyer (08-03-2019), wes (08-03-2019)