Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,595 Times in 5,091 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Per WH:

http://www.basketballforum.com/atlan...charlotte.html

Charlotte
The key to Charlott's success this year will depend on the following: Does Alan Major get a handle on this head coaching thing quickly; does Chris Braswell take the next step into becoming a dominant player; does Jamar Briscoe grab the reins at point and provide leadership and some scoring punch; and does Charlotte find a consistent scoring threat at wing forward. We know what Spears and Green will bring. It's the other things that will be crucial.

Should be very interesting to see the new-look Niners, with an emphasis on defense and a more disciplined offense that Major promises.

NONCON SCHEDULE

W - GARDNER-WEBB
W – SOUTH CAROLINA STATE
L - George Mason (Charleston Classic)
W - East Carolina (Charleston Classic)
W - South Carolina Upstate or Coastal Carolina (Charleston Classic)
L - At Oregon State
W - RADFORD
W- At East Carolina
W - WINTHROP
W - At Davidson
L - TENNESSEE
W- WRIGHT STATE
W - At Mercer
L - At Ga Tech

10-4 nonconference

The Niners get an easy start with a rebuilding Gardner-Webb (new coach), and then in a strange scheduling quirk, play South Carolina State the next day. Both are home games against weak opponents, but I still don't like back-to-back games.

The third game is critical. Hard for me to take a rookie coach over Jim Larranaga, especially when he's returning all five starters from a 20-win team. Losing that game, however, would put Charlotte onto a low RPI path. If the team beats Mason, Charlotte would get a date with NC State next (and a beatable Wolfpack team at that).

Oregon State doesnt have more talent than Charlotte, but it's a long flight just a few days after the 3-game event in Charleston. Niners return for home cookng and should get on a streak. Normally I pick Charlotte to lose at Davidson, but this time I think the Niners have the better team and will pull it out. Tennessee is young but very talented. Niners will have a better chance than last year, but I don't think they have enough backcourt depth to handle the VOls' press.

Wright State loses Brad Brownell, and that should make Charlotte's job easier. Mercer is not as good as they were a few years ago. Ga TEch is very beatable. Not great size, but they do have a potent wing attack. I'd like to think that charlotte beats either Tenn or Ga tech, but I go conservative.

BONUS:

A-10 PREDICTION: 9-7. (18-11 overall)

I don't like the Niners' unbalanced sked. Xavier and Richmond are two of the top four teams in the league and GW is rising. Charlotte also has to play SJU, Bonaventure, Duquesne, Rhode Island, Temple and St. Louis on the road.

Of course, Charlotte is the biggest unknown in the league with the coaching change. Major and Lutz are nothing alike. So this is quite a guess.
Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (02-16-2011)