Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 07:41 PM
General

Thanked 3,922 Times in 2,155 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
Totally agree with m21eagle45 and would like to see facts from UD2 and OSU Flyer. Here are some facts:

(1) Anthony Grant's average kenpom rating is almost the same as Archie Miller's whereas Brian Gregory's was materially lower. BG's average kenpom rating was 87 in 8 years at Dayton with a range of 26 to 131; Archie Miller's average kenpom rating in 6 years was 53 with a range of 39 to 59; Anthony Grant's average knepom rating at VCU/Bama was 88 with a range of 26 to 86.

(2) Anthony Grant took VCU to a much higher level than Jeff Capel whereas Shaka Smart moved it up somewhat. Capel averaged #107 in kenpom and #4 in conference play. Grant took that up +48 spots to #59 average in kenpom and #1 in conference play. Shaka kept the momentum going, but it slowed down increasing +21 spots to #38 average but decreasing - 2 spots in conference to an average of #3.

(3) Grant is a great recruiter and now his OKC experience will . Grant has had bad classes at both VCU and Alabama. Just one example, he had the #6 class in the nation in 2013. http://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/...ecruiting.html

(4) I do think Archie is a better Xs and Os guys as he has won more close games.

(5) Archie's record in the NCAA is better than Grant's, but Anthony had 3 of 4 games versus top 15 teams where he was 1-2; whereas Archie was 0-3 versus top 15 teams. Draw matters and Archie has had better overall draws. Archie was 5-4 in NCAA Tourney games whereas Anthony Grant is 1-3 in NCAA games, but two big caveats:
(a) Anthony played #10 Duke, #11, Pitt, #12 UCLA, and #28 Creighton -- Archie played #19 Ohio State, #18 Syracuse, #34 Stanford, #3 FL, #47 Boise State, #27 Providence, #11 Ok. St., #27 Syracuse, and #8 Wichita State. ARCHIE HAS NEVER BEATEN A TOP 15 TEAM IN THE NCAA TOURNEY, HE WAS 0-3. Anthony Grant was 1-2 versus top 15 teams in the NCAA Tourney and lost the other 2 games in OT and by 1 Archie honestly got killed by FL, OK, and Wichita Stat was close. Archie was 2-0 versus teams 16-25, Grant was 0-0, Archie was 3-1 versus teams 26-50 whereas Grant was 0-1.
(b) I would chalk it up to a combination of luck and skill, but Archie beat Ohio State by 1, Syracuse by 2, and Boise State by 1. Grant lost to Pitt in OT, UCLA by 1, and Creighton by 1. I truly believe Archie a better X and O coach, but he was lucky in these games and Grant was unlucky. A couple different bounces of the ball and Grant would be considered a much better coach.

I agree with other posters, let's get the facts on the table, not wild speculation.
I posted a break down of Dennis Felton vs. Anthony Grant here
http://udpride.com/forums/showpost.p...&postcount=321

I look at bringing in the #6 recruiting class in the country and then getting fired speaks to something going wrong there.

As far as the Ken Pom. That's one data point. I look at his record and what happened at Alabama. The SEC was the weakest power 5 conference when has there. Mark Gottfried did better at Alabama than Anthony did his tenure by a wide margin. Alabama isn't an Auburn that's been a complete black hole. To explain away his time there as "it's a football school doesn't hold water"

In a weak SEC he had a losing record in conference play his last two years. Years 5 & 6 with his guys.

I've post various break downs of the coaches I like in various threads around here. I wrote a novel about John Brannen