Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: Duquesne Win
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 12:14 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyerferd View Post
I agree with your sentiments here. It’s crap that a coach can go wherever they want whenever they want, but players are penalized for transferring . That said, I see a potential opportunity for growth on the players‘ parts. If college basketball is really supposed to “prepare you for things later on in life, “ what happens later when these “student athletes “ get a new boss in the working world? That manager more than likely has some different ideas or a different... system/way of doing things . I wish mentors of these players talk about how this is an opportunity to learn to adapt to the best of their ability. Consequently, when they are sitting in an interview and asked a question about how that individual handles Situations when things go awry, They can lean on their college basketball experience, point to this exact situation, and have a great story to tell. *Yes, I realize I’m talking like a 30 something who’s been through these kinds of things a couple times, hence my mention of mentorship.*
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't agree with that at all. For the skill set of players that UD gets, or at least that AM brought in here, basketball is another major for them. They chose their college based on a number of factors, but getting a paying job playing basketball after they're finished is one of them. If a student looking for another career doesn't like other aspects of the school, they can transfer without having to sit out of the classroom for a year. These players and their families take picking the right situation very seriously and the biggest factor in their choice is playing for the right system and coach. They shouldn't have something as huge as having to extend their college stay an extra year based on the luck of if your chosen coach stays or goes.

Not only that, it's a win/win situation for all involved. We'd see better basketball as a whole because coaches will be playing from the start with players that fit their system.

A lot posters here feel that AM's recruiting of talent diminished here the last few years. What I haven't heard is why that would be. Maybe it's because his name kept popping up as a top choice for bigger basketball programs as soon as he had his first real success in the 2013-2014 season. I wonder how many recruits liked the thought of playing for coach Miller but also didn't want to take the chance of having the rug pulled out from under them with having him move on after one or two or three seasons. Yes, it could happen anywhere but since his name moved quickly as a top 5 coach to be moving up, the odds increased for him. Those players probably would have been willing to take that chance if they knew they could transfer and not miss a year of basketball if he indeed moved on.

Having raw talent that could be molded by the right coach/system into a professional basketball career shouldn't be derailed by a change in coach/system with the thought of what a wonderful real life experience that would be.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TommyGola (02-08-2018)