Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 06:03 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by keats '91 View Post
Missing the math... my impression of NET is not just wins or loses, but the beauty pageant aspect. If you were favored to win by 4, you better win by more than 4. So when we squeak out a win, that is not good enough. You lose ground to the field.

So can this team not just win, but drill people? Maybe, but it seems to go against the coach's mindset (and I totally understand it). But if those are the rules, you better be ready to either play by the rules or not complain later...
There's some truth to that, although it's not very transparent as to how it actually factors in. I thought they wanted to navigate from the RPI so they could have a more transparent and accurate measuring tool??

Here's what I've discerned - blowout wins to lesser teams and/or flat out crappy teams can help you - NC State at #35 compared to a 115 RPI.

Close losses (and al lot of them) to quality opponents also help you - see 12-11 Florida and 13-11 Indiana, who both have NET's in the 40's but RPI's in the 70's.

I was looking at NC State's resume/schedule, and it's hard to believe that they're in serious consideration right now for an at-large bid. Some committees in years past would have bounced NC State on their non-con schedule alone. It's inexplicable, IMO. Out of 353 D1 teams, NC State's non-conference SOS ranks 352. That should be grounds for automatic exclusion from the NCAA tournament unless you win your conference tournament.

Last edited by SLUFLYER; 02-11-2019 at 06:11 PM..
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (02-12-2019)