Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 01:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,587 Times in 3,712 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
. The one thought I did have was that OT wasn't really on a track to play college basketball until his senior year of high school and he was just treated as a normal student by his coaches, counselors, and teachers. They were just trying to get him to graduate HS and weren't making sure he was on a path to complete the core courses the NCAA clearinghouse requires. Now I still think it's crazy that with a year of prep school he was unable to complete the requirements, but he may have been so far behind on those core clearinghouse requirements because no one cared about that until his senior year of HS. The quote from his HS coach in the article is pretty telling when he comments on how OT played great AAU ball prior to his senior year of HS and then finally played varsity his senior year. He was basically not on anybody's radar to play college basketball until then.

Bingo, I was going to post a similar theory. The path to being NCAA eligible starts when 8th graders are making out their schedules for their freshman year. The NCAA requirements are well above and beyond what the state, or many local districts require.

A crazy example, my daughter took a college level English class her junior year which our local school gives her 2 HS credits for as basically they do the same amount of class work in each semester as most classes do in an entire year, giving her the 4 credits before her senior year. Yet when she made out her senior schedule, the guidance office called her in and pointed out that since she is an athlete if she had any hopes or dreams of playing in college, she must take a language arts class her senior year as well as the NCAA requires 4 separate year long classes, and in their eyes she only had 3.