Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 09:26 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,084 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
How did VCU go from Jeff Capel to Anthony Grant to Shaka Smart to Will Wade without missing a beat? Each was an outside the program & the last 3 made the tourney in their first year

Tulsa had a similar run in the 90s till 04 hiring outside the program with Tubby Smith, Steve Robinson, Bill Self

Promoting from within isn't the only way to get it done. Xavier got Matta from Butler & arguably Prosser
Posted via Mobile Device
Not sure even with the impressive Figgee123 stats model there is someway to see which approach is more viable in basketball program continuity, but there are instances that show both methods have there points.

However, in my opinion, hiring a very good coach the first time is important. Out of 100 possible HC candidates there may be 1 or 2 that turn into great coaches, all the others are in a spectrum of very acceptable to very horrible.

Bill Self has been with his program for years as an example so we do not yet know what Kansas will be like after he leaves. His longevity at K certainly shows it was a great hire.

X was fortunate to get a very good coach in each of their recent transitions but only after they hired Pete Gillen (202-75) in 1985. But before that they had Bob Staak who went 88-86. And before that when McCafferty left in 1963 X went through a number of so-so coaches until Pete finally showed up. Since then they have been either very fortunate in their selections OR had a great transition within the coaching staff.

SO, Yes IF you are very fortunate to get a HC on the first hire and he stays (meaning he is a great coach), the program achieves. OR, IF you are very fortunate to get a great HC from within the ranks that is replacing a great coach your program will/should achieve.

Going each and every time to the well in hopes the water tastes fine and not poisoned you are playing with luck and fate.

Now I must leave to wash my hands and rinse my mouth out due to the 'happy talk' I made about the X program!