Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,705 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sheg View Post
Thank you, 62. On the contrary, SDF, my glad is quite full. However, from an outsider perspective, everything I wrote there is true. I personally think the Flyers compete for a bye in the conference tournament this year.

I was just trying to proactively prevent hurt feelings around here when the Flyers aren't ranked.

Edit to add: if UD IS in this ranking, I will be impressed with the rankers' ability to see past the superficial negatives and see the real improvements in the program in the last 17 months.

Look, to an outsider, losing XWilliams (a starter at the beginning of the year and most of his sophomore season) might seem like a negative, while we rightfully believe it's addition by subtraction.

To an outsider, losing senior Darrell Davis, virtually tied for leading scorer, might be a negative. Yet we all watched him mentally check out of games he was racking up 35 minutes in. The team even often played better down the stretch when he was on the bench.

To an outsider, losing Kostas to the draft may seem like a negative. And while his raw talent is undeniable, I'm not sure what his place would have been on this upcoming team.

An outsider might see the transfers of three bench players as a negative, while we know they contributed virtually nothing to the team on game days.

It would be awfully hard to take last year's 14-17 9th place debacle, consider the above negatives, and predict a significantly better finish this year, unless you really know the team well.

We all do, and I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb to say I think most here would agree with "compete for a bye in the conference," which will mean a finish in the 3rd-6th range. If the newcomers (Toppin, Matos, Cohill, Pollicelli, and Mikesell*) contribute more than hoped, and Crutcher, Davis, Landers, and Cunningham continue to grow, this could be a very fun year indeed.

*Putting Mikesell here because he's basically new to the staff, and really hasn't played significant minutes with any of his teammates.
This is the modified assessment that I can totally relate to. And after reading the SMU review at #65, which has more holes than swiss cheese, I now understand how we are sitting ducks for third tier sports analysts who are disconnected from our patched up roster this year. SMU lost their iconic coach, recruiting has dropped off, suspensions and injuries have hit them, they were 6-12 in League play. To wit :

"Last season, SMU had their lowest win total since joining the American Athletic Conference in 2013. The Mustangs won just six conference games after winning double-digit AAC games in each of the past four seasons. Injuries to Shake Milton, Jarrey Foster and Everett Ray certainly played a role in SMU’s down year. This season, Milton is gone along with fellow starter Ben Emelogu, but the Mustangs have four players returning who started at least 14 games last season. Full seasons from Foster, Ray and Jahmal McMurray should get SMU right back in the thick of the AAC race."

Really?
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (09-05-2018)