Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 07:48 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Gonzaga gets plenty of excellent, highly-rated HS players that can play anywhere these days. This modern day Gonzaga is not our dad's Gonzaga. They've utilized the transfer market as much if not more than any quality team in the country. Almost 25% of all of Mark Few's players since he's been HC are transfers, JUCOS or grad transfers..That's around 3 per year..

Basketball is one heck of alot easier to recruit than football and it's far easier to have that chance to become a really good team. Only takes 2 excellent players to change a program for at least a couple years to become Sweet 16 worthy. Now, to go beyond and become consistently good it takes far more and requires the program foundation itself to rise up.

I could care less about how many stars some local basketball junkie slaps on a kid. Most of those guys know no more about the game than I do when watching a player. I know a 4-5 star the second I see him and if he's worthy of that as there are also plenty of players that get that same status that are just the 3rd/4th best player on their HS team as far as numbers/contribution but project down the road to become elite due to size, length, athletic ability, etc..

I like the position AG is in.He'll get some real nice players and athletes here that will fit his system. The real key, imo, is to always be as strong as they possibly can at that PG position along with depth there. Mix in a couple 2's and 3's and UD can remain a top tier team in the A10. Get THAT occasional stud here and there and Sweet 16's are in the horizon and maybe more..AG's track record thus far in his short tenure looks to have been pretty fantastic in regards to recruiting......