Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: Crosby
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 02:57 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CraSch View Post
In a way, I understand Crosby saying "enough is enough" if he was getting disciplined for something he didn't do. NOBODY likes that. However, if this is truly what happened, then I feel he blew a great chance at showing some leadership. Point guards should be leaders, IMHO. This was a chance to show leadership in accepting the punishment because he is part of the TEAM, but to also get on those guys that caused it to point out such conduct that causes punishments is unacceptable and he will do his best to help them avoid such conduct and to hold them accountable. However, if story is true, he may have just lost a lot of respect from his teammates. I can imagine some of the others, especially those that also were not part of the issue and thus "unfairly" punished, saying "why do I want to follow this guy? When the going got tough, he quit. Screw him, he's no leader, nor team player".

So if true, and he comes back, he may have to earn everyone's respect again, because, simply put, you do not quit on teammates and expect to easily come back from it. So in a way, I'm hoping this story is incorrect and he left for a reason that, if he returns, would seem more acceptable to his teammates. Just my 2 cents....
Actually, sometimes rebelling can be a form of leadership. Could be a case of him being the only one to speak up against being punished for something he wasn't at fault for was taken as speaking up for those others in the same boat.

Personally, I can see it. You had a coach of your choosing that didn't discipline this way and now through no fault of your own, you have a new coach that does and you resent it. Probably, knowing he was only PG on team, flexed his muscles and got shown that they don't consider him irreplaceable. Once he got called out on it, he felt he had to follow through on his threat of "not going to take it" or whatever it was. Not an uncommon occurrence in other similar situations like a new boss at work.

Now, if Anthony Grant had not made his discipline techniques such as this known upfront, he's partially at fault. If he hadn't, I think the proper thing to do would have been to call a team meeting and explain that after this, all will be punished for the sins of a few.

Obviously I don't know all of the circumstances, just saying that if it was anything like the scenario I layed out above, what Crosby did might be a little more understandable. He is still just a 20 year old young man and we all had less patience and probably more ego back at that age.