Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 07:35 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
HVAC > African American Studies
Plumbing > Electronic Media
Electrician > Journalism
Welding > Education

BTW, all those blue-collar careers can EASILY 'change the trajectory' of anyone's life...to imply a worthless college degree is a better option is nothing short of ignorant. Royally.
Except I didn't do that, so don't put words in my mouth. The fact is, I don't disagree that a skilled trade is as good or even in some cases better than a college degree. But don't pretend that a lot of these kids are just as likely to do a trade as they are college. In fact, I'd guess less likely, given where many of them come from. There are more limited opportunities in many of the inner cities from whence many of these kids come from so what are their chances of becoming an electrician or plumber or pattern maker, or any other number of skilled trades.

Maybe the trade-off is someone on an athletic scholarship has to take a real degree and not some made up one that offers no practical use in the real world. I don't know, but I'm reasonably certain that just because non degree jobs exist doesn't mean these kids are any more likely to pursue them than they are something in college.