Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 04:52 PM
General

Thanked 4,342 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
For UD to challenge for the league title, I think 3 numbers need to improve:

64 - The combined free throw percentage of Josh and Jalen. Josh gets to the line the most, Jalen has the ball in his hands the most, these dudes need to hit their free throws at a rate greater than 75% (josh did his sophomore season at UD, Jalen shot 68% last year)

28 - The combined 3-pt percentage of Ryan, Jordan & Dwayne....Mikesell was 33% as a frosh, 33% as a soph and 33% this season, so perhaps this is exactly what he'll be, but if Jordan get get closer to the 39% he hit last year, and Dwayne can start knocking them down, if they could as a group get to 35% and would help free up the inside.

22 - the average minutes per game of Obi. Dude is a force with a smooth offensive game and he needs to find his way on the court more. Not sure if he's needs to hold up more on his end of the bargain, or if CAG needs to play him more minutes in lieu of Mikesell, Jordan, Dwayne, etc.... but some way they need his productivity inside

Improve those 3 numbers and I'll take my chances.

So, we are now 50% thru the conference season and sitting at 7-2; granted UD has their toughest stretch sitting in front of them, but hey, I don't control the schedule and 50% is as good a time to reflect as any.

64 - Josh and Jalen's combined free throw % OOC. Oppossing coaches have clearly gained a bead on their free throw defense, as combined, they're sitting at just 58% on freebies in conference play. Think a few more makes would have made a difference @ VCU or against George Mason? (sort of, would have been a boost @ VCU, jalen didn't attempt any vs Mason, which is kind of a problem)

28 - In conference play, they are at 38%; remarkably Chips is at an even 33% in conference play, his exact % OOC, as well as his first 2 seasons, Dude is consistent if nothing else from deep. Jordan is up over 40% for conference play, so while streaky, good over the stretch. Cohill has only taken 11 in conference play, but shooting a respectable 38%, need Chips to break his 1/3 stride and start hitting 40%.

22 - Obi is averaging over 26 mpg in conference play, I think we all agree that is a good thing. What was interesting the last 2 games is that those minutes came at the expense of landers in one game, and Josh in the next.

No clue what any of this means, but thought I'd look at what has happened since making these observations. If they Flyers want to challenge for a top 2 seed, I think getting the free throws % up and getting Landers "right" while maintaining everything else we've seen in conference play will be huge.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (02-04-2019), Gazoo (02-05-2019)