User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: 2020 Recruiting
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 01:53 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,162 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Exactly, Brilliant! we should hope for the needle in the haystack. No need to go after proven talent that fuels teams that are successful. You might want to patent that “Hoover Principal “. Forget the ratings! At least we should be better that Towson who are cursing their luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
When we sign Top-100 kids, you moan about how awful they are. When they ignore the inaccurate recruiting rankings and go after "the eye test", you moan about that. Which way do you want your burger?

Bradshaw, Ward, Scaife, Giacone, Chandler, and Whalen were all Top-40 to Top-125 players. Wilmoth and Cannatelli were Top-175. So Dayton went after -- and signed -- the kids whom all the recruiting services (services you apparently respect their opinions on) said were good players. We also signed players outside that recruiting profile.

I'm not really sure what you're asking. You can't even play the "well Dayton got suckered into players who were no good that everybody else saw through their facade." Bradshaw and Chandler played for teams that played for a national title. Whalen played for a program with more NCAA tourney success on one hand than UD's entire lifetime D-I postseason success. Evidently they either fooled all the coaches, or the scouts fooled us all.

Either way, there's no way to please you. You want the can't miss kid at every position -- the one who was a 5-star and played like it, and the one nobody heard of that plays infinitely above their reputation. All those kids are few and far between.

We don't have a recruiting problem. We have an execution problem in my opinion. That and some fitness issues. I dont think we are nearly fit and athletic enough. I still go back to the Marquette NCAA game last season. It showed me just how large that physical talent gap was. The last thing of course is this team shoots knuckleballs. There is no reason for it. Ward and Wilmoth have taken large steps backward. They should be eating teams up inside and shooting 55%+ from the floor as seasoned upperclassmen now.

Two other issues -- both PGs are undersized which limits their effectiveness on dribble-drive. And lack of overall shooting. This is going to end up the worst shooting team in UD WBB history if they maintain their average. I think some of it is just bad fortune too. For whatever reason Cannatelli -- a historically dead-eye perimeter shooter -- has not been able to hit her J this year. Not like shes not a good three point shooter. She's one of the program's all-time best. But mysteriously its just not found the bottom of the net this year.

Defensively we are good enough to win the A10 this year with room to spare. Our defensive numbers are near an elite level (even acknowledging the A10 is weak this year). The A10 is perhaps the weakest its been since UD has been an A10 member (almost 25yrs). But the offense is what will keep us from the postseason.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (05-03-2019), jaburr91 (02-05-2019), Sid Louick (02-05-2019), The Fly (02-05-2019), UDaMan (02-06-2019)