Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 10:24 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,873 Times in 6,980 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by O Doyle Rules View Post
This happened during my granddaughter's Dayton Metro 6th grade basketball game this weekend.

It occurred during a tie-up over a loose ball. Our player was bitten on her forearm.

Our player who was bitten did not let us know until once she came to the bench. The coach has her show the bite mark to the referees. The referees advise the opposing team what happened but that was the extent of it.

Should have anything else been done?

What if anything can be done after the fact? The league director has been notified with a picture of the bite.

Moderator if this needs to be moved due to it being off-topic please do so. I was hoping King Rollo could provide his insight.
Nothing surprises me these days.

Here's the deal: You can't call something you don't see. Despite evidence like bite marks (or scratches, etc...) it's hard to say "#22 says that #12 bit her" and then eject #12 for what I would consider a flagrant technical.

So, by the Rules, your hands are tied behind your back. But because it's Metro and not OHSAA, you have the ability to stretch the rules under the guise of 'safety first'.

So, what would I do??? I'd call the coach over and tell him what I was just told and ask him to respond. 99% of coaches wouldn't hesitate to remove the player for the rest of the game. But there are exceptions. I'd have to think that this didn't come out of nowhere (meaning the biter probably was acting out in other ways during the game and had the ref's attention) so if the coach failed to discipline her, in my own little way, I'd discipline her with touch-foul after touch-foul and travel after travel. At some point she'd either foul out or have so many turnovers the coach would have to take her out.

Admittedly, what you describe is a TOUGH situation. The last thing I want to see is retaliation, which in today's game is realistic! I've heard more than one parent yell at their kid to 'throw an elbow' or 'take them down' which is nothing short of disturbing. But it's a fact. As I've told the queen (and Priders over and over) 90% of parents will ruin everything their kid does if given the chance.

This weekend was another eye-opener for me...had my 1st ejection (6th grade girls) and actually had a 2nd grade coach call a timeout less than 1 minute into a game to make his 9 year olds run half-court sprints!

UGH!
ClaytonFlyerFan (02-11-2019), Gazoo (02-11-2019), jack72 (02-11-2019), NYCFLYER (02-12-2019), O Doyle Rules (02-11-2019)