Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: Trouble brewing
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 04:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kevinob15 View Post
I think the solution will be clauses inserted in their contracts nullifying all guarantees in the event of recruiting violations etc. Mike Greenberg used to talk about this subject on mike and mike regarding the student athletes and I loved his opinion. He said put a stipulation in the scholarship contracts that if they are found to have taken any money or other illegal benefits as stated by the NCAA, that they will then be responsible for paying back tuition fees in full. This was in reference to the Reggie bush situation at USC where he gets away with no consequences and leaves the school taking the fall. This system would atleast hit the parties responsible and not the current students who had nothing to do with it. It’s completely unrealistic and never going to happen but I always liked his take on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is a lot closer to the right answer than any of have heard. Listening to some of the talking heads and they don't get it.

This is supposed to be college athletics. I don't have a problem with the small stipend. If players want to make money, go pro. NBA, MLB, NHL or NFL rules are not college athletics problems. If a player does't like it, sue the majors. Some guy from SI was saying give the college basketball players the right to hire agents like they do in baseball and hockey. Those are very different situation. College baseball and hockey does not get the exposure or money that basketball does. I don't think many (if any) schools, apparel companies, agents or any others will pay much to see a player in baseball or hockey go to one school or another. Someone said those agents don't care what school the basketball player ends up at. BS. The value of someone going to Duke or Kentucky or the other major programs ends up being higher because of all the exposure those programs get. Also, don't compare the basketball player to the regular student and their right to go out and make money during school. The regular student is not get the value of all the coaching, facilities, meals and all the other perks that go with playing major college basketball,

I don't know how may players are getting these payment but it can't be many. No need to change all the rules to accommodate a few.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (02-24-2018)