Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 02:51 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Fouls are 'situational', not pregnant

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
If I see another ref wait until a shot is missed and rebounded to call a consolation prize foul that somewhere between "calling nothing and rolling the dice with an and-1", I'm going to lose my temper. It's either a foul when its committed or it's not. Cant be a little bit pregnant.
C'mon Sir Chris R...you know better than this! Soccer officials don't call contact based on contact, they call it on 'advantage' and/or safety. Basketball is no different...some contact is a foul...that same contact in a different situation may not be a foul.

Example: I'm doing a varsity boys game last night. Joe does an awesome crossover dribble at the FT line and fakes his defender out of his rolled up shorts! The defender tries to reach for the dribble and missed, hitting Joe in the leg as he drives (unopposed) to the basket for a layup.

Should King Rollo the Ref of Integrity call that contact and stop play knowing neither the coach or player wants it called as they'd rather have the basket? Or is this play - as you put it - "a little bit pregnant" meaning it should be called a foul 100% of the time???

As I've stated a million times, I attend a lot of meetings. We have a few topics that are always discussed (block/charge, traveling...) including the dreaded phrase 'let them play thru it' meaning that if the contact in question doesn't affect the play, let it go.

If the defender above trips the dribbler, it's a foul. If he injures the dribbler, it's a foul. If he forces the dribbler to hop-step and he then loses the dribble or it's stolen, it's a foul. But in many cases, immediately calling the contact a 'foul' is unnecessary (for lack of a better term).

Officials (of any sport) who operate in a vacuum are doing themselves, their partners and the game they love no favors. As a umpire, if the count is 3-0 I have been known to call a pitch that's 3" outside a strike...as a soccer official I have ignored high kicks at midfield if the defenders are backing off...

It's called 'discretion' and I know it's a fine line, but it's a fact of all sports and if you think about it - or ever decide to become an official yourself - I know you'll all agree. I'm not saying you'll all like it...just that you'll agree.

Or quit after the first game...

King Rollo the Semi-Pregnant! OUT!

Last edited by rollo; 12-04-2018 at 03:05 PM..