Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 09:35 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
As do all of you, I have many acquaintances who either chose to, or simply couldn't go to college, yet they are very successful. Some are in fields where they essentially became self-made accountants, engineers, etc. They could've chosen college, run up massive student loans, and then spent the first 10 years of their careers paying them off...but they chose a different path...and made it work. It's what you do. None of us should feel entitled, least of all grade school or high school athletes who (and whose parents) choose to dedicate all their resources to specializing in something (a sport) that has a limited lifespan after which they find themselves not able to speak or write in complete sentences. College should not be a guarantee, even if you can run a 4.2 forty or have a 44" vertical. But big $$ says it is. As for basketball, in my opinion nothing short of the NBA dropping the college requirement (or equivalent) is going to cure the NCAA's ills.
The NBA does not have a college requirement. Even with what they have, I am not so sure that is the biggest problem.

The reality is that if this thing ever gets "fixed", many of us will start caring a lot less of the comings and goings of the University of Dayton and that makes me sad.