Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 10:34 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Very interesting posts....

Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
The strength of the A10 from a basketball perspective is largely dependent on the university presidents and what they are willing to spend. If the shareholders (alumni + donors) are not interested in demanding or funding improvements that lead to success, they will not happen. If A10 schools each get only $200k in TV revenue, that's little more than a rounding error in your entire athletic budget and by itself is not going to facilitate any change.

As for us demanding change, would we want to belong to a league that's direction is driven by 1 or 2 teams? Probably not. UD is striving to increase it's success in Athletics and league membership for each of it's teams and I am 100% in agreement with that direction, but unfortunately, the one piece that is missing is consistent men's basketball prowess/domination. Every other box is checked.

Our A10 men's basketball resume looks like this:
23- years of membership
1- Conference Tournament Championship (at home)
2- Regular Season Championships
8- NCAA appearances
5- One and done NCAA appearances
(1- NIT National Championship - does this matter?)
Is the combination of every other box checked, enough to get us into a more elite conference? The answer is no.

Hopefully, AG can get us over the hump and get us where we want to be, in the conference we want to be in - so we can stop relying on being know as "the most prolific NCAA Tournament venue in the world."

I agree with your premise, but at the end of the day, if Zavier, Butler, Penn State, West Virginia, Temple, etc. wanted back in the A10, I think they would be allowed back in.

Side note - someone eluded that LaSalle was selling it's artwork to keep the doors open. LaSalle is the only school in the A10 to field a team in every men's and women's sport. Interesting . . .
Really worth reflecting on the content of these posts...I think.

Re UD's history and role in the A10: When it comes to facilities, especially BB, and BB fan support, absolutely incredible, we are in a class by ourselves. But when it comes to BB performance we have been pretty much just another player in the A10....holding our own, for sure, but dominating the conference? Not even close.

Our hand would be a lot stronger if we made the NCAAs ~ 15 times in our 23 years, advanced to at least the Sweet 16 7-8 times, won a half dozen conference championships, etc. The fact is our aspirations have far exceeded our performance. We're sorta wannabes Miller started to change that. Hopefully Grant can restart the process. Sustainability over coaching changes is a "must" to get where we want to be.

As for influencing the direction of the A10, we don't have the clout to go it alone. But if three or four other top programs having aspirations similar to ours are not satisfied with the strategic goals of the conference, banding together to force change is definitely a possibility, in my opinion. But such a movement requires a leader, an instigator. I believe UD has sufficient ability and influence to lead such a movement....but only if we can "seduce" a few solid partners to work with us. And it is worth noting that the school presidents steer the boat, not the ADs. Perhaps Neil should be working on Spina....reminding him of the Arena investment.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer14 (05-21-2018)