Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 05:25 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Income? Not following.

Harvard billions? From what? The endowment? Research grants?

If football and basketball players could go pro straight out of high school, I would have less of a complaint, as things stand though, they are basically forced to play college ball for much, much less than their market value.

The NFL, and maybe less so the NBA, is getting a free ride in terms of not having to run a minor league system used to evaluate these guys before the draft, they should have to pony up.

Hard to say how much the schools are making, they all cry poor, which is very hard to believe, and the books are hard to follow/don't tell the whole story.
There are at least 300 Div I colleges and at least 300 Div II colleges, plus all of your overseas players. Every year, very very few players make it in the NBA, the number even much smaller straight out of HS. Same for football.

Now, imagine the NBA and/or NFL set up a real minor league system, similar to baseball. There wouldn't be enough positions available for all the college athletes. And don't forget about all the guys who have already graduated but not good enough to currently make a roster. They will take up spots in these minor leagues to. So, significantly fewer spots available for kids coming out of HS who would never be able to afford college, probably at any level. At least an athletic scholarship provides you the opportunity to prepare for a non sport future. I couldn't care less if the value of a scholarship is significantly less than what coaches or an organization/college makes off athletics. It's your opportunity to better yourself for free. If you want to give kids a small stipend so they have a little spending money, I don't have a problem with that. But anything more and I'm very much opposed.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
shwag33 (10-11-2017), UDGutter2 (10-11-2017)