Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 11:49 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,010 Times in 499 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
To be brutally honest, as a UD alum and fan, I really only care about DI basketball. I do care generally about the success of the athletic program but men's basketball is the undisputed King (and benefactor) of the department.

I think another thing that gets lost in all this is that if we have a kid who is good enough to get poached by Kentucky or Duke after a year, he's likely good enough to go to the NBA instead of transferring at all. In making that statement I am assuming that a kid is not going to transfer from Dayton to sit on the bench at a Kentucky or Duke so we are really only talking about the elite players who may only be in college for one year anyway.

I do realize that there will be kids who might have a chance to transfer from UD to OSU or somewhere like that but I have to think that will still be a two way street. There will certainly be kids like Siebert who for whatever reason couldn't get on the court at a bigger program but can excel a "step down" at a place like UD given the chance to play. Top programs are still going to recruit over kids, kids will leave when the NCAA vacates wins and puts teams on probation, kids will leave when there are coaching changes. I just think there are way too many variables to definitively say "this is going to play out this way," if it happens at all.
Mad Props to Flyers98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Brad S. (09-13-2017)