Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 08:17 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by redbengal View Post
I was stuck up in the 400s for that one. But I was there! And I remember the absolutely electric atmosphere that day as people settled into their seats and the pep band played. It just felt like something amazing might happen that day.

I guess it was Raymond McCoy at the line whose miss set up Schelly to Velvet to Young? As he stepped to the charity stripe I remember the place already going bonkers and me yelling, "You suck! Miss it!" When "the shot" fell home (the original "Kiss To Be Remembered in Dayton" before Vee would hit his 30 years later) it was mayhem. And it WAS amazing. I wasn't at the Pitt game to compare but it's the loudest I've ever witnessed a game at the Arena.
You’re right, it was Raymond McCoy (a Chicago kid, who had gone to San Francisco out of HS, then transferred back home to DePaul) who missed that shot. And it still speaks to Schelly’s determination that he was able to get that rebound between 2 Blue Demons (Embry and Corbin, I believe) who had 3”-6” on him.

But as loud as it was that day, I still maintain that the loudest crowd ever at The Arena was in 1974, for the ND game, when the Irish were #2 in the country and had ended UCLA’s 88-game winning streak earlier that season. Was a few days away from my 12th birthday, so Mom let me sit in the Lower Arena with Dad while she sat in the Upper Arena with my sister. Still one of the best birthday presents I ever got. And where I sat that day was the same location I sat last night for that mess against URI.
Posted via Mobile Device
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cityengr (03-02-2019), CT Flyer (03-02-2019), Flyer 86 (03-03-2019), SeasonTicketFan (03-02-2019)