User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: Dayton to AAC?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 03:24 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Morphed into a general conference discussion

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Am I missing something? I thought the AAC commissioner said they are not looking at any other schools and if and when the time comes to expand again it would most certainly be a school with football. ......
Re UD using its leverage...someone said that unless UD has somewhere to go that won't work. I agree. My suggestion above is that the entire A10 has "somewhere to go", i.e. new conference is formed made up of nine or ten current A10 schools.....and four or five current members simply are not invited to join. Probably Fordham, LaSalle, St. Bona (these three are a better fit in the MAAC) and one other.

This sort of thing is really hard ball and will not happen. A reason? It hurts sister institutions. I remember well that when the ACC carried out its unprecedented raid on the Big East about a decade ago several prominent ACC coaches and faculty raised objections for that very reason...it was clear that sister institutions were being hurt at the benefit of the ACC schools. Well, the "pain" didn't last long because such raids have become common.

The eight or nine "strong" A10 schools would feel mighty queasy, in my opinion, about embarrassing and/or otherwise causing pain for the schools left behind. On the other hand, for a majority insisting that there be minimum facility standards as evidence of commitment to BB seems reasonable and fair. Schools that fail to agree to meet such standards are essentially withdrawing from the league, not being booted out. Is it not true that Fordham and Duquesne play FCS scholarship FB? If so there is a cost associated with that. Indeed, a cost for any kind of FB which requires money not available for BB. And the A10 is a BB conference.

I would think that a major metropolitan university like Fordham would be embarrassed to entertain conference and OOC opponents in a high-school-like facility. Dayton has just about the finest facilities for everything with an athletics budget that I think has reached ~ $25 million. I wonder how that compares to the budgets of the A10 weak sisters.