Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 08:47 PM
1st Lieutenant

NYFLYERFAN is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NEOFlyer View Post
My family and my son love everything about Dayton, the football program, the people, the parents, the campus….except for Welcome Stadium. I believe, though, the biggest issue with getting more people interested in football games is Welcome Stadium itself. An antiquated high school football stadium with little or no character surrounded by a sea of asphalt.

When my son was being recruited in high school to have the opportunity to play football at Dayton, it was mentioned by some within the football program that by his junior year (he will be a senior next season) the Flyers would be playing their games on campus. I believe others being recruited heard the same.

Here is my game day dream…..

Arrive on campus and find a parking spot (a spot I’m not allowed to park in, of course) near my son’s house in the Ghetto. Head inside the house greeted by his bleary eyed non-football playing roommates. Watch son head off to Frerick’s Center to get ready for the big game against Butler. Pre-game a little bit with housemates. After a little socializing, make our way toward Baujan Field (recently converted to a multi-sport facility) and meet up with many of the parents tailgating outside of Baujan. We love tailgating… grilling food, meeting and greeting new parents and students, the Flyer Club with their hospitality tent, having a few ‘pops’ (‘sodas’ for you non-Midwesterners). Half hour before the game the band heads through the Ghetto (firing up, or waking up, the Ghetto) and through the tailgaters (I love that the band changed to playing through the tailgaters this past year). The activity level rises as more and more of the Ghetto awakens. Have a few more ‘pops’. Game time approaches. Tailgaters break down their set-ups. Take a short walk to the field. We find our seat and I take a moment to look at all the activity in and out of the stadium. Stands filling up with Flyer faithful, students finding their places on a viewing hill just outside the stadium (why make the students pay) and notice beyond the tailgating area the activity in the Ghetto. Game time has arrived!

Go Flyers!!!
Posted via Mobile Device