User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: Drake at home.
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2018, 10:16 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,144 Times in 5,115 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
In the old days nobody could score on Dayton. If you scored 13pts you had an offensive explosion vs our D.

While we also typically scored 40 points. it didnt matter. We could score 17 and literally win almost every game of the season. Not the case anymore. In the last 10yrs we've had issue shutting teams down and been forced to outscore opponents. Giving up 20-30pts in a game is no longer the rare exception. In the old days nobody put 35pts on us except Augustana or UAB.

Admittedly I dont follow things as closely as others, but in my opinion it all starts on defense. Championship teams have championship defenses. Sooner or later when you go up against other teams with equal or better talent, its a fight to see who can limit the other team's chances in the red zone. You cant put up 35pts on everybody and just outscore them. Against good teams you need to learn how to win 17-10.

Not saying the offense doesnt need some work, but when I think of old school UD football, I think about a Berlin Wall type of defense that could stick a cork in just about anybody. You couldnt run on us, you couldnt pass on us. You were behind the chains on almost every possession and were kicking 49yd FGs to try to get something on the board.

The 80yd TD runs and TD receptions just never happened. Nobody gouged us with chunk plays. You'd have to go 16 plays and 85 yds and convert about four third-and-longs.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-24-2018), Flyer Gramps (10-24-2018)