Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 01:55 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
As much as I'm enjoying watching the cockroaches scurry (bye Ricky), there could be a backlash none of us are thinking about.

I believe this is going to reinvigorate the discussion of paying college athletes their market value. In essence, dropping the charade of amateurism in college athletics. The argument will be athletes are obviously shopping their talents to the highest bidder; why should this be done in the shadows? Conversely, if we're going to acknowledge these are at least semi-pro athletes, why should they be prohibited from playing in the NBA right away? If this idea gains traction, you'll see bidding wars for top talent & even lesser talent. UD doesn't have the pockets for that.
The only answer here I think is:

1. The NCAA blows up. In it's current form, it dies. The farce is over. It was good while it lasted.
2. The NBA D league develops into an honest minor league. The baseball model is there. Something not the same, but kinda similar.
3. College sports becomes roughly the level of the current 200 level RPI teams on down as everyone else will be under contract and ineligible.
4. I have no idea how this sorts out for college football, since it's too much $ to die and yet if the dominoes really fall I don't see how it survives.

I don't see how it makes any sense for a school like UD or Alabama football to "sponsor" a team of professionals who don't attend classes. And I don't see players who are collecting hundreds of thousands of $ ever attending a class. So that is just a different farce and pointless.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (09-27-2017), SoTier Flyer (09-28-2017)