Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 08:43 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
I only mention that the revenue sports are like the non-revenue sports to point out how flawed this logic is...

"The reason for the year in residency rule for football and basketball is because of money!! And the reason they're changing the rule to make it more like the non-revenue sports is because of money!!"

It's as if people think something is fishy as to why the rules are different, and when a change is being made that just happens to make it more like everything else, they think something is even more fishy. Truth be told I find that a little humorous, that's all. People are going to find something wrong with everything. If a rule came out that all non power five schools could add an extra scholarship, people would be complaining about how the roster size would be more difficult to manage, and how team chemistry would go down the toilet, and how it's just another example of how the NCAA is trying to screw them.

I would keep the 1 year of sitting out and remove the requirement that you be released by your university. Therefore it is still the student athlete's choice, but there is a little skin in the game...you have to sit a year and miss out on doing what you want to do
This won't ever happen, but I'd be fine with it. The issues with tampering would go through the roof if players suddenly didn't need permission to contact or a release, but I'd have no problems with this rule. The way I see it they're not really "missing out." They get five years to play four seasons. That's the same whether they make them do the year in residency or not. They just have to take a break for a year, that's all. They don't actually lose the season.

This will not be the death of college basketball. If it happens, then I don't think anyone will really notice or care once it comes to be. The graduate transfer rule and the cost of living stipends were supposed to be the end, yet all the doomsday prognosticators are still here and it's as if they barely noticed. They won't notice this either. Conference realignment, ending long standing rivalries, autonomy, bad TV deals that result in teams not being on in their local markets except on channels almost no one gets, replay timeouts that last five minutes, bloated conferences playing bloated conference schedules, etc. Those things will do more to cause the death of college basketball than this ever will. I know it may be disappointing to some if this doesn't end it all because it will be one less thing that they're able to complain about, but I just don't see it happening. Take it for what it's worth. I don't care if they do it or not because I don't think it will matter that much either way.

Anyway, carry on!!
Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (09-13-2017)