Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 12:59 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
There are soooo many aspects to a good recruiting initiative besides the actual offer. If the coach and staff do it right, much time and many assets are devoted early in the kid's career.
If we haven't done the preparation over an extended period, the offer is simply a piece of paper that has no substance. I recall when Matt Doherty took over SMU, the offers from SMU were all over the midwest. Lost credibility. His success rate had to be dismal.

IF we have done the homework, sure, I see no reason not to present the offer. Programs that offer without doing the preparation might take the Louisville approach and have a pocket full of Monopoly money, but most programs don't.
I get all that. I was responding specifically to the "I like that AG has the courage to offer these guys" posts. I also understand that if you spend all your time and resources chasing kids you aren't likely to get you are wasting time and resources. My point is that the other mindset, that you shouldn't waste any time on the kids that are perceived to be "too big time for UD", like Dwayne Cohill (which seems to have been the prior staff's mindset) is worse. I don't view AG to be some fearless trailblazer because he is willing to offer kids that are 4 and 5 starts, (and not transfers to get that quibble out of the way). Rather, I view him as doing a good job but doing his job.
Mad Props to Flyers98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (10-31-2017)