Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 05:04 PM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
'Displacement' is an insanely difficult call to make in the age of the 'flop' and even moreso in HS girls basketball where they fall at the thought of a collision (except in Northmont...right Clayton?).

That's why flopping should be penalized. I love Kennard but I can't believe he hasn't been hospitalized weekly for whiplash. You can't get within 10 feet of him without his head instinctively snapping backwards. I see this behavior trickling down to lower and lower levels of basketball and it's annoying. If/when I get out of officiating, it'll be because the game has become to much like the WWF. With flops, head jerking, kids screaming 'and 1' every time they drive the hoop and coaches stomping all over the place, the trend that direction has already started.
I think the NCAA has attempted to remove this with the objective circle under the basket. Duke would draw 10 charges a game with this phony BS before the circle. So it's a little better than it used to be.

But I'd like to see them take it further. Basically make it a "player control foul" where it's a charge because the guy (girl) was wildly out of control. Not because contact was made and somebody fell down. You want to fall down? Go for it. Unless the player driving had his head down out of control it's either a block (if you're moving under him) or a no-call (the same as if you had stayed on your feet). And it's a charge whether or not you fall down, because that depends on whether or not the player was under control.

Hard? Yes. But it's probably also 90% of the charges called removed. And the players would probably appreciate the ability to just stand there and take a hit without fear of being called for a block on every play.