Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 08:48 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow

Originally Posted by Flyer2 View Post
Every time I hear Union I want to vomit. The need for "Unions" in the early1900's was a necessity to protect the people. I watched the PBS show on the Copper Mine war in the UP of Michigan and it was disgusting what our pillars of industry did to the workers.

I worked on the assembly line at Frigidaire and was a member of the Union and then as a foreman and engineer. I have nothing good to say. GM screwed the Delco white collar workers big time and it is not settled yet.

UAW was responsible for NCR leaving town. NCR had a retiree rate of about 80% - You went to work at NCR and you retired from NCR.

UAW has about a 35% retiree rate.

So if you look at the Dollars NCR had to pay retiree's it was the same amount for if you were a NCR union member or UAW member. So NCR bailed and 10,000 jobs left town.

Sorry about the rant but the Union Bosses along with the GM bosses were idiots.
don.t forget Dayton Tire & Rubber. Worked night shift while taking college classes. DTR built a large warehouse across from factory which would hold 6 months supply of tires. There was a contest to see how fast the tirebuilders could fill that warehouse. It was filled just before thanksgiving. All went home feeling food about meeting the challenge. All while the workers were without a new contract being negotiated by the union.

After thanksgiving the union declared they were unable to come to terms with DTR and went on strike. The strike lasted 5 months. Remember the warehouse held 6 months of tires, so the company wasn't hurt at all, in fact earned a nice little increase in profits not having to pay labor.

No way you can convince me that the union wasn't in cahoots with DTR.
Then the new radial tires became the norm and DTR changed equipment to make those radials and alongwith it a new pay rate. Union balked saying they would not build radial tires.......DTR then moved to Oklahoma,

Unions destroyed Dayton and blue collar jobs.

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 03-17-2018 at 08:51 AM..
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (03-17-2018)